We know that many people have started using weighted blankets as a way to enhance their sleep experience and relieve stress. So, we want to provide you with some useful information about weighted blankets. In this article, we’ll discuss what weighted blankets are and how they work, as well as the benefits of using a weighted blanket. Additionally, we’ll explore who can benefit from using a weighted blanket, and provide some helpful factors to consider when selecting the perfect one for your needs.
What is a weighted blanket and how does it work?
Weighted blankets are heavy blankets that are designed to provide a deep pressure touch sensation to the body, which can help promote relaxation and alleviate stress. The weight of the blanket creates a feeling of being hugged or held, which can trigger the release of serotonin and melatonin, two hormones that help regulate sleep and mood. The deep touch pressure also stimulates the production of oxytocin, a hormone that is associated with feelings of calmness and well-being. Overall, a weighted blanket works by providing a sense of comfort and security, which can lead to a more restful and rejuvenating sleep experience.
What are the benefits of using a weighted blanket?
Using a weighted blanket comes with numerous benefits, including:
- Reduced anxiety and stress
Weighted blankets have been found to have a calming effect on the body, which can help reduce feelings of anxiety and stress. The pressure from the weight of the blanket can simulate the feeling of being hugged or held, which can help release the “feel-good” hormone oxytocin and reduce cortisol, the stress hormone.
- Improved sleep quality
The deep pressure stimulation provided by a weighted blanket can help promote relaxation and improve sleep quality. This is especially helpful for people who have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night.
- Relief from insomnia
Weighted blankets can be particularly helpful for people with insomnia, as the added pressure can help regulate the body’s natural sleep cycle. The blanket can help decrease the amount of time it takes to fall asleep, as well as reduce the number of times a person wakes up during the night.
- Increased focus and attention
The calming effect of a weighted blanket can also help improve focus and attention, particularly in people with ADHD. The added pressure can help decrease hyperactivity and increase concentration.
Who May Benefit from a Weighted Blanket?
Weighted blankets can provide benefits for a wide range of people, including:
- Anyone looking to reduce stress and improve relaxation: Even for individuals without any specific condition, weighted blankets can provide a comforting and relaxing sensation that promotes a sense of calm and wellbeing.
- Individuals with anxiety or stress: The deep pressure stimulation provided by a weighted blanket can have a calming effect on the body, reducing feelings of anxiety and stress.
- People with insomnia or sleep issues: Weighted blankets can help promote relaxation and improve sleep quality, making them particularly helpful for people who have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep throughout the night.
- Individuals with sensory processing disorders: Weighted blankets can provide sensory input that helps regulate the nervous system and improve sensory processing, making them useful for people with conditions such as autism and sensory processing disorder.
- People with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) or ADD: The calming effect of a weighted blanket can help improve focus and attention, making them helpful for people with ADHD or ADD.
- Individuals with PTSD or trauma: Weighted blankets can provide a sense of safety and security, which can be particularly beneficial for people who have experienced trauma or suffer from PTSD.
It’s important to note that while weighted blankets can be helpful for many people, they may not be suitable for everyone. It’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional to determine if a weighted blanket is appropriate for you, particularly if you have any underlying medical conditions or concerns.
Factors to consider when buying a weighted blanket
Choosing the right weighted blanket can make a big difference in the benefits you receive from using it. Here are some factors to consider when selecting a weighted blanket:
- Weight: How heavy should a weighted blanket be? Weighted blankets come in different weights, ranging from 2 kilograms and can go up to around 15 kilograms or more. Some people may prefer a slightly heavier or lighter blanket depending on their personal preferences. A blanket that is too heavy can be uncomfortable and may cause discomfort or pain, while a blanket that is too light may not provide enough pressure to be effective.
- Quality: Look for a weighted blanket that is well-made and will last. Check the stitching and seams to ensure they are strong.
- Material: Weighted blankets can be made from a variety of materials, including cotton, linen, bamboo, fleece, and more. Choose a material that feels comfortable against your skin and suits your climate. Bemboka offers premium quality weighted blankets and throws crafted using the finest materials including European linen and premium organic cotton.
- Size: Choose a blanket that fits your bed or body size. A twin size blanket is perfect for a single person, while a queen or king size is suitable for couples or larger individuals.
- Ease of maintenance: By considering the maintenance requirements, you can ensure that your weighted blanket will be easy to care for and remain in good condition for years to come. Bemboka’s weighted blankets are machine washable and tumble dry friendly which can save you time and effort in caring for your blanket. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to properly wash and dry the blanket to ensure its longevity and effectiveness. Additionally, some weighted blankets may require special care, such as dry cleaning, so it’s important to check the care instructions before purchasing.
In conclusion, weighted blankets are an excellent way to promote relaxation, alleviate stress and anxiety, and improve sleep quality. We hope this article has provided you with the information you need to make an informed decision when it comes to choosing the best weighted blanket for you.